[kde-linux] KDE 4.2.4

Louis Hinman slack at rcn.com
Wed Mar 3 20:37:37 UTC 2010

I unchecked "Enable desktop effects", which makes a big difference.  Thanks sc.

Can't tell where to go removed the system tray.

Best Regards,

Vwaju
On Wednesday 03 March 2010 12:31:48 pm Louis Hinman wrote:

> I just upgraded my Linux installation to Slackware 13.0, which
>  incorporates  KDE 4.2.4.
>
> My previous installation was Slackware 12.2, which
>  incorporated KDE 3.5.10.
>
> I am dismayed to find KDE 4.2.4 running very s-l-o-w.
>
> It's the same computer that I was running KDE 3.5.10 on.  It
>  has 2 GB of RAM  and a broadband cable internet
>  connection.  I'm just running that standard desktop apps, but
>  they are running much slower than 3.5.10 ran.
>
> Can someone advise me on how to fix this?

two things come to mind immediately

1) turn off compositing -- those desktop effects are expensive
from a resource point of view

    Personal Settings --> Look & Feel --> Desktop
    uncheck Enable desktop effects

2) make sure you do not have the SysTray widget on your panel --
some people tweak it til it's not hogging your cpu, i recommend
avoiding it altogether -- it's tough getting used to not having
it, but it's buggy and can eat your box alive -- you can use
'top' in a konsole to see plasma-desktop using 75-80% cpu before
you get rid of this cycle stealer

hth,

sc