[kde-linux] Printer defaults location?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 16 08:35:57 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 02:15:01 Thomas Taylor wrote:
> Could anyone tell me where the printer defaults for kde applications are
> stored?  My Brother HL-1440 prints right down to and beyond the bottom of a
> page in kde apps.  I can correct this by going into the "properties" tab
> and resetting the bottom margin from "0.50 in" to "0.75 in" which results
> in a half inch bottom margin but I'm lazy and don't like having to do that
> every time I print something (frequently)
>
> I've edited the Brother ppd file in
> /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/HL-1440-hl1250. ppd.gz changing the
> imageable area bottom from 792 points to 738 points but that didn't solve
> the problem.
>
> As shown on the linked screenshots below, the top and bottom margins are
> set to 0.50 in.  What I would like to know is how are these values derived
> or where are they stored.  Am I editing the wrong file?
>
> I've done a search for "0.50 in" in /etc, ~/, and /usr but didn't find a
> match.
>
> Thanks for any help and suggestions, Tom
>
> [URL=http://www.hostmyjpg.com][IMG]http://www.hostmyjpg.com/images/2743229d
> b9_kate-printing1.png[/IMG][/URL]
>
> [URL=http://www.hostmyjpg.com][IMG]http://www.hostmyjpg.com/images/79971396
> 77_kate-printing2.png[/IMG][/URL]

Since you have a comcast address I'm assuming that you are in the USA - so the
first thing I'd check is that the default isn't set to A4 paper.  If that
isn't the problem you are correct in thinking that the printer applet is
designed for adapting defaults to a particular print job, therefore needing
changes every time.  For HP printers you set those defaults in the hplip
interface.  IIRC Brother do provide a similar interface.  If you can't get it
from your distro, try the Brother website.

I did set up a Brother printer a couple of years ago for someone, using
drivers taken from the Brother website, and it was completely trouble-free.
If you still can't find it, use Brother's contact info to get help.  I had one
problem initially - getting it to work with the GIMP - and they told me
exactly what to do to fix it.  I was very impressed with their service.

KDE Community Working Group