[kde-linux] kdeinit: shutting down after setting HOME

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jun 11 13:07:05 UTC 2010

Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:21:05 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Thursday, 2010-06-10, Schwarz, Arthur I. wrote:
>> In Red Hat Linux 5:
>>

>> I want to be able to dynamically reset HOME, as in HOME=newHOME; export
>> HOME. After I do this, when I execute Kate I get
>
> Would it be possible to explain which effect you want to achieve, i.e.
> why you want to change $HOME?
>
> Because the way you discribe it here sounds like you run different
> programs of the same session with different $HOME values.

Indeed.  KDE isn't designed to have its $HOME changing out from underneath
it, and as you (the OP) found out, it doesn't work so well.  There's ways
around it, but the general case gets pretty complex pretty fast, so if it
can be avoided with a fixup for a specific case, it'll make things much
simpler for both you and us.

A very short explanation of what's going on, however, is that (among other
things) kde uses sockets for its inter-process communication (dcop in
kde3, dbus in kde4), and these are normally placed in $HOME.  So when you
try to switch home out from under it, it can't find its sockets anymore,
and the various kde components can't communicate with each other
properly.  What you're seeing is the breakage resulting from that.  But
that's just one aspect of a rather more complex picture, so if we can
simplify the general case to something more specific, it'll be better all
around.