[kde-linux] KDE4.4 default clock display freezes

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jun 8 00:56:13 UTC 2010

Jethro Tull posted on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:28:51 +0000 as excerpted:

> --></style>
> </head>
> I noticed since the upgrade of my system to a version of the
> distribution using KDE4.4.3 that the clock display freezes. While it
> displays the right time in the context box appearing when dragging the
> mouse on it, it displays a time that is several minutes, even 30 late on

Nice nick! =:^)

Please turn off the HTML.  Many readers here prefer not to use HTML
capable clients for security reasons, and as you may or may not be able to
see, the result can be rather messy.

As for your question, the non-updating clock may well be related to your
video drivers not properly updating the portion of the display with the
clock.  Here (using a Radeon hd4650 with the latest radeon/r600
freedomware xorg, kernel and mesa drivers, in general I couldn't legally
do proprietaryware if I wanted to, as I won't agree to the surrender of
rights and freedoms the EULAs demand), I see graphics corruption (here
displayed as a fully or partly missing clock) occasionally with the analog
clock plasmoid when I first start kde, but if I hit its settings dialog,
toggle the seconds hand on temporarily, hit OK, then go back and turn it
off, it works correctly.