[kde-linux] How do I enable horizontal scrolling?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 25 21:33:54 UTC 2010

Bill Wells posted on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:26:56 -0700 as excerpted:

> [disclaimers] but here are the changes I made to get my mouse to work.
>
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> line 282 I commented out

> added line
> 283 Option   "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"

> added line
> 289 Option   "ZAXISMAPPING"    "4   5"
> note:  this line may be:
> 289 Option   "ZAxisMapping"     "4   5"
>
> I think that line 283 set the mouse as PS/2  so that should give you an
> idea of where to look in xorg.conf.
>
> depending on the number of features your mouse has, as I recall, the
> numbers can be "4    5     6    7     8" etc.
>
> Google ZAxis Mapping for a lot more info.

Thank you!  That sounds right.  I wish I had remembered the details, but
that's very close if not right on, because I do remember ZAxisMapping
having something to do with it, and of course, whatever mouse driver is
being used must have at least the number of buttons that your mouse has
and that you plan to use (including the "buttons" for scrolling").