[kde-linux] Splash screen import errors

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Fri Jan 29 05:11:31 UTC 2010

I'm trying to customize my desktop after years of using the defaults,
but I'm running into problems.  I'm able to change the wallpaper okay
but not the kde splash screen.

When I go to Start > Configure Desktop > Appearance > Splash Screen >
Get New Themes, it takes me to the kde-look.org page, but I haven't been
able to install the splash images I want.

When I click "install", it displays the circling balls but doesn't
install anything.  In two cases it shows the busy balls then goes back
to the menu (images: BlueLinuxSplash, Simple Swirled).  When I try to
install two others (BlueElectric, KStarboard Splash), the busy balls
appear and then the install box changes to uninstall.  However, after I
reboot, I find nothing has been installed and no additions have made to
the splash screen menu (see attachment).

Is this a bug in the factory version or am I trying to install
incorrectly?
--

Thanks, Tom (retired penguin)
openSUSE 11.2 x86_64, KDE 4.4RC2