[kde-linux] Programs won't launch in kde 4.4

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 03:47:35 UTC 2010

I've been playing with kde 4.4RC1 for a few days now and am running into
a problem.launching programs from a file manager, both krusader (2.0.0)
and dolphin (1.4).  When I click on a file associated with some program,
nothing happens.  If I right click on the item and choose "open with"
and select an appropriate program, again nothing happens.

I am able to run the programs from CLI but klauncher doesn't seem to be
working.  I've searched through the /var/log messages but haven't seen
anything pertinent, at least no runtime error messages.

Programs launched from icons still work.

I've checked the associations in "Configure Desktop > Advanced > File
Associations" but they are all correct.

Following a lead in a different thread I tried the following:

laptop:/home/tom/Documents # kdeinit4
kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
klauncher(16148) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have
started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
### added -
laptop:/home/tom/Documents # service dbus start
D-Bus already started. Not starting.
laptop:/home/tom/Documents #
###

I used the openSUSE 1 click install method, telling it to install the
vendor modified libraries and got no errors during or after the install.

uname -a:
Linux laptop 2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-12-15 23:55:40
+0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

kde 4.3.90 release 212
Dell studio 1745 laptop, 4GB RAM, 450GB hd,
Intem mobile series 4 video

Any suggestions about where to look or what to do next?

----
Thanks, Tom (retired penguin)
openSUSE 11.2 x86_64, KDE 4.4RC1
Kmail 1.13.0, FF 3.6