[kde-linux] Why does webkam require printer?

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 23:51:01 UTC 2010

On Friday 15 January 2010 03:20:21 am Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2010-01-14, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 January 2010 01:54:02 am Kevin Krammer wrote:
<snip>
> Nice, never heard of it before.
> Interestingly an application using one of our bindings, never heard
>  of any of them before either.
>

> Anyway. I think there must be a different problem. The look for the
>  printer is initiated by a printer manufacturer's tool.
> Can you try starting webkam from a console and see if it says
>  anything specific itself?
> And/or check $HOME/.xsession-errors (this is where log output of
>  applications started through the launcher menu ends up).
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Checked $~/.xsession-errors which showed no errors after running webkam.
The output of webkam in a terminal is:

tom at laptop:~/Documents> webkam
./webkam_app.rb:2:in `require': no such file to load -- gst (LoadError)
        from ./webkam_app.rb:2
        from main.rb:1:in `require'
        from main.rb:1

I'm assuming that means some dependency is not satisfied.

 Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas recommended kamoso which I tried.  Although it
did open a window and display a proper screen, it doesn't seem to find
the camera.  When I click on the take a picture button, the bottom pane
changes to three circles which progressively change colors at which
point the main pane turns lighter gray and shows a small smiley.  But no
picture is taken.  I'm attaching a screenshot taken after I tried to
take a picture.

For now, I guess I'll continue to use cheese which is working, but I
would like to get some kde app working.

--
Thanks, Tom (retired penguin)
openSUSE 11.2 x86_64, KDE 4.3.1