[kde-linux] kmail - turn off html?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jan 1 00:25:11 UTC 2010

Pablo Sanchez posted on Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:53:30 -0500 as excerpted:

> I'm on other lists and there, when someone posts in HTML, a `kind'
> person will point out that text should be used.  How else is someone to
> learn?

Absolutely.  That's the reason I normally do just that (if I respond with
an answer, I seldom post only the HTML point, if I don't have anything to
say about the original problem).

OTOH, I recognize the reality of the time limits many volunteers are
under, with the accompanying desperate need to ruthlessly filter
/somehow/ down to something manageable, and the either rudeness or
cluelessness that html posting implies gives them yet one more way to
conveniently do that, prioritizing their time as they HAVE to do...
There's no way I'd take that from them.  After all, posting in html is a
choice, either deliberate, or clueless, and if people are /that/
clueless, it's likely to take longer to bring them up to speed, and these
people don't /have/ that time, so leaving it to others that do (or to the
fates of no response) is in fact a wise decision, if it means they can
answer two or three others in the same time, or code up that nice feature
they were thinking about for the next version of their software if
they're a coder, or just take more time with their family, or whatever.