[kde-linux] KDE 4 and monitor powering off.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Feb 25 22:16:54 UTC 2010

Dale posted on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:25:33 -0600 as excerpted:

> Ahhh, I see.  I was running it in a Konsole but as root.  I did try to
> change to my user from root but it was the same.  Soooo, I set up a menu
> entry to run Konsole as my user from the start.  That seems to work MUCH
> better.  I get what I think we were both expecting.

Hmm... I don't believe the standard konsole menu entry runs as root... and
certainly, typing in konsole in krunner, and selecting the "run konsole"
entry, should run it as the same user (the "terminal" entry simply invokes
the menu entry, so it would run whatever the menu is setup to run).

> I have one more question.  When I set this the way I want it, will this
> affect ONLY kde or will it affect everything?  When I am at the login
> screen, kdm, I want it to turn off after 5 minutes.  I have that set in
> xorg.  When I log out I am usually leaving the house so no need for it
> to be on for very long.  I do want it to stay on for a long while when I
> am logged in tho.  I have a slide show set up for the background and I
> watch it until I fall asleep.  Plus, I watch TV shows on it sometimes
> too.
>
> Now to go tinker with this a bit.  Thanks.  I'm getting these issues
> dealt with one at a time but we're making progress.

I don't know if it affects everything or not.  But now that you know how
to set it, you can setup a little script that sets it long, and another
that sets it short, and put one in the kde startup dir and one in the
shutdown dir...