[kde-linux] Dolphin opening a text file as root with Kwrite.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Feb 22 01:39:43 UTC 2010

Dale wrote:
> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> Following up on this - if I tried 'kdesu dolphin' then attempted to edit a
>>> file, I got the result reported.  However, if I tried 'kdesu kwrite
>>> /etc/fstab' I got an editable file.  Perhaps that gives you something to
>>> compare, to find what's really happening (or not).
>>>

>> Did you try, after opening Dolphin as root, opening a Konsole with:
>>
>> 	Tools ->  Open Terminal
>>
>> and running:
>>
>> 	kdeinit4
>> ??
>>
>> Does that fix the problem?
>>

> OK.  I tried this.  I opened Dolphin and tried to open a file that was
> root only.  It failed as before.  I tried this to make SURE nothing had
> changed or been updated since my last try.
>
> I opened a Konsole, switched to root with su - and entered the root
> password.  I then typed in kdeinit4 and watched a screen full of stuff
> go flying by.  I then went back to Dolphin, which was still open from
> before, and tried to open the same file.  It opened fine and I could
> also edit and save the changes with no error at all.  It works just like
> the old way in KDE 3.

Actually, if you use: Tools -> Open Terminal in the Dolphin menu, you
will have a Konsole open as root, but it works the way that you did it too.

> So, how can I make this work on a more permanent basis.

Well, that is the question, isn't it?  When you run KDESU, it is
supposed to automatically initialize your root session.  So, your
question comes down to why it isn't working.  I have to tell you that I
don't know.  If you are using a distro, it is possible that this is a
distro specific problem.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch