[kde-linux] Dolphin opening a text file as root with Kwrite.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 22 01:44:23 UTC 2010

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 20 February 2010 02:38:49 James Tyrer wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> Following up on this - if I tried 'kdesu dolphin' then attempted
>>> to edit a file, I got the result reported.  However, if I tried
>>> 'kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab' I got an editable file.  Perhaps that
>>> gives you something to compare, to find what's really happening
>>> (or not).
>> Did you try, after opening Dolphin as root, opening a Konsole with:
>>

>> Tools -> Open Terminal
>>
>> and running:
>>
>> kdeinit4 ??
>>
>> Does that fix the problem?
>
> Yes, it seems to.  So are you saying that 'kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab'
> must do this in the background, somehow?

Yes, when you use KDESU, it should automatically initialize the KDE
session for the new user (root is the default).  For some reason, you
system isn't doing this.  Dale is having the same problem.  Perhaps
someone familiar with the code can tell us what the exact problem is.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch