[kde-linux] Is there a way to mount from the desktop in KDE 4.4?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sun Feb 21 10:03:16 UTC 2010

Is this a SuSE problem or a general remaining problem?

I've been trying every new release of KDE 4 Desktop - now I got "4.4 release
2" according to openSuSE 11.2

My problem is, I don't use automatic mounting for CD/DVD (so I have a line in
fstab that says: /dev/sr0 /dvd auto noauto,users,exec,ro 0 0)
I also have nfs shares on a "server" that is not always on, so I can't mount
these shares at boot (as they are not available) and I have to mount them
when working.

Now, this problem has been preventing me from using the KDE 4 desktop from the
start. I've been reportedly told to wait for 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 ....  no
change.

There is the problem that Plasme refuses to let you mount things:

"Error - Plasma Workspace" "Could not mount device. the reported error was:
mount: only root can do that"

So who can explain to me what use are forlder view's "link to" objects if they
work only as root (I don't suppose KDE advocates working as root...)?

Plus: this dialog is modal (which seems to be a caracteristic of most KDE 4
dialogs I have seen, by the way).

As I said, the correct, working lines ARE in fstab and they do work, as user,
from a konsole! So don't tell me tthis is a configuration problem, it IS a
KDE 4 problem.

It may be an implementation problem by the SuSE team, but I doubt it: I don't
remember if this was true in 4.3, but when you create a "link to device" in a
folder view, there are no more "unmounted" icons, so I guess this is a clear
sign of where KDE 4 is headed, they don't want you to control your mount
points...

Anyone knows a way to restore controled mounting from the desktop in KDE 4.4?
I googles for that, no result. And is it possible to know if this sort of
feature is going to come back some day, or it's just against the new KDE
concept - because if it is, there is no use waisting time trying the new
version...

Thierry