[kde-linux] Dolphin opening a text file as root with Kwrite.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 04:12:20 UTC 2010

Dale posted on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:45:21 -0600 as excerpted:

> I suspect it will want kdelibs for KDE 3 tho.  I may be wrong on that.
> Anything is possible I guess.
>
> If I can run Konqueror in KDE 4, that will solve a pretty good size
> problem for me.  I'll try to test that next time I am in KDE 4.

Yes, konqueror for kde3 will want kdelibs for kde3, which will need qt3.
FWIW, people on binary distributions don't always seem to be so aware of
the dependencies... until of course they're no longer available in the new
versions.

I don't know the context of the claim, but I suspect the reference to
running kde3 "natively" on kde4, was one of two things.  Either it was a
reference to apps that are in both (no version number and konqueror is
still part of kde4, so konqueror still runs natively, but it's konqueror4
not konqueror3), or it was more generically referring to the ability to
run apps from one in the environment of the other, similarly to the way
you can run gtk or gnome apps, or standard X apps, or fltk based apps, or
tcl/tk apps... etc, under kde4, as long as their requisite dependencies
(such as kdelibs3 and qt3 for konqueror3, or gtk2 for firefox/icecat) are
met.