[kde-linux] Dolphin opening a text file as root with Kwrite.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 19 01:19:30 UTC 2010

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 February 2010 18:35:32 James Tyrer wrote:
>> This is not intended behavior.  You have to stop telling people that
>> everything is OK when there is a problem.
>>
> I was told specifically that it was intended behaviour, and the reason was
> security.

Well then, I would have further conversation with that person.  If there
was an intention to prevent opening a file in KEdit as root, do you
think that it would be implemented in such a strange way?

Even without any changes from a stock system (no personal or distro
changes), you can open that Run Command widget and execute:

	kdesu dolphin

Please try it!  Then after you enter the root password.  Go to a text
file and open it in KWrite.  Please try that as well.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch