[kde-linux] Dolphin opening a text file as root with Kwrite.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:01:34 UTC 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010 10:30:51 Dale wrote:
> I have Dolphin, the replacement for Konqueror, set up to run as root.
> When I go to the "K menu" and select Dolphin, it asks for the root
> password and I enter it in.  Dolphin opens fine, no problems.  The
> problem starts when I go somewhere that requires root privileges.  If
> I try to enter the /root directory, I get this error at the bottom of
> Dolphin:
>
> "Can not start process.  Can not talk to Klauncher.  The name
> org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any service files."

It's intended behaviour.  Apparently running a gui for text-editing has some
possible security issues - don't ask me for details, I don't know them - so
it's discouraged.  I'm sure there will be ways of side-stepping this, but
since I don't know whether I'd then be opening a can of worms I've accepted
that and come up with work-arounds.

If I know the path of the file to edit,  I open a root konsole and type
'kwrite path/to/file'.  If I don't, I start dolphin in a root konsole - which
doesn't bring that error message.  Either way, I accept that there could be
some vulnerability, so I close the session as soon as I have finished.

KDE Community Working Group