[kde-linux] Shared Desktop Ontologies-0.3; KDESupport-4.4

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Feb 16 04:02:03 UTC 2010

James Tyrer posted on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:36:29 -0700 as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:
>> James Tyrer posted on Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:59:11 -0700 as excerpted:
>>
>>> The problem appears to be that "Shared Desktop Ontologies-0.3", with
>>> is part of KDESupport in TRUNK was not included in the new TAG.
>>
>> FWIW, gentoo (which of course is from-source by individual users, just
>> using scripts that manage dependencies and etc) uses shared-desktop-
>> ontologies-0.2 for kde-4.4.0, here.
>>
> Do you have any idea where Gentoo obtains the information? or are they
> using trial and error as well?

They have a trunk ebuild in the gentoo/kde overlay, which is updated as
kde's dependencies change, and when trunk splits a version branch, they
create ebuilds for them as well.  That plus the betas and rcs.

So they're normally following upstream closely enough to catch most
changes within hours -- and I see this reflected in the git logs for the
overlay, which I follow (tho I've stuck with full upstream releases so
far, no betas or live trunk builds yet, at least since I actually switched
to kde4).

But, I do not know if they're following the development lists, etc, or
just updating the ebuilds to reflect new dependencies when something
breaks.  Since gentoo offers split ebuilds, I'm guessing at least part of
it is flying by the seat of their pants, as the saying goes, since that
level of intra-tarball dependency information isn't publicly available
AFAIK, so they'd /have/ to be updating them as they break.  (I _know_
that's the way they figured out the interdependencies originally.)

But there's enough discussion of many of the broader dependency changes
(like the announced kaddressbook requiring akonadi and therefore its
dependencies for 4.4, and kmail requiring it for 4.5) before it happens
that they're not unexpected, tho exactly when they happen is still
probably simply following the upstream commits.