[kde-linux] device manager doesn't give the option to open with dolphin with kodak c140

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Feb 13 21:08:24 UTC 2010

yahoo-pier_andreit posted on Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:28:44 +0100 as excerpted:

> Duncan ha scritto:
>> yahoo-pier_andreit posted on Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:04:58 +0100 as
>> excerpted:
>>
>>> suse linux 11.2 with kde4.4
>>> if I plug my kodak easyshare c140 camera by usb cable, it is
>>> recoinized as removable device but device manager give me only the
>>> option to download pictures by digikam, I would like to open it with
>>> dolphin like the previous camera, how can I do this? thanks for any
>>> response
>>
>> Device manager is setup such that if it sees a mountable filesystem, it
>> will offer to open it with the file manager (dolphin, konqueror, etc,
>> whatever your default is configured as).  However, not all such devices
>> appear as mountable filesystems... using the kernel's mass storage
>> driver.
>>
> azzz big surprise, I supposed as mountable filesystem was standard!!:-(
>
>> I suspect that's what's happening in your case.  You could check the
>> logs and see...
>>
> I suspect that your suspect is right :-)
>
> lsusb give me this:
>
> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 040a:05d2 Kodak Co.

Anne says Kodaks are known for not using the normal mass storage layout.
Unfortunately...

> in kde4.4 is there a camera setup in general settings, it show me this
> about :
> Storage Devices Summary:
> store_00010001:
> 	Storage Type: RAM rimovibile (scheda di memoria)(memory stick)
> 	Filesystemtype: Digital Camera Layout (DCIM)

That seems to confirm it.

> /var/log/messages give me this:

> Feb 13 17:23:12 linux-dvkc kernel: [15846.021537] usb 5-1:
> New USB device found, idVendor=040a, idProduct=05d2
> Feb 13 17:23:12 linux-dvkc kernel: [15846.021548] usb 5-1:
> New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> Feb 13 17:23:12 linux-dvkc kernel: [15846.021555] usb 5-1:
> Product: KODAK EasyShare C140 Digital Camera
> Feb 13 17:23:12 linux-dvkc kernel: [15846.021561] usb 5-1:
> Manufacturer: Eastman Kodak Company
> Feb 13 17:23:12 linux-dvkc kernel: [15846.021566] usb 5-1:
> SerialNumber: C140 030902338
> Feb 13 17:23:12 linux-dvkc kernel: [15846.021717] usb 5-1:
> configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> where can I understund that isn't usb storage??

Here's the log (dmesg) on a standard thumb drive (multiple partitions,
most ext4 w/o log), using the mass storage driver, picking up from the
serial number line, so would match from the serial number line, second to
the last line in yours above.

usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 078807B8005F
scsi8 : usb-storage 1-3:1.0
scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access   Patriot Memory   PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] 62652416 512-byte logical blocks: (32.0 GB/29.8 GiB)
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Write Protect is off
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sde: sde1 sde2 sde3 sde4 sde5
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 8:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk

See that usb-storage line?  That's the kernel's usb mass-storage driver
kicking in.  There's then an ID line, and the lines showing the kernel and
udev assigning it /dev/sde and setting that up.  You can see the
partitions assigned, with the "Attached SCSI removable disk as the last
line.

Anything that appears as a standard mass storage device will have a
similar dmesg trace.

First there's finding the device, noting the USB bus number it's assigned
(5-1 in your case, 1-3 in mine), some info about manufacturer and device
description, a serial number... that much is pretty much standard for most
USB devices.

Then the individual device drivers kick in.  In the case of the thumb
drive I inserted, you can see the usb-storage aka mass storage driver kick
in.  That emulates a SCSI drive, so the SCSI drive system picks it up from
there.

In the kodak camera case, it apparently uses something other than USB mass
storage.  I don't know all how it works, but I believe the kernel simply
supplies a much lower level "bit banging" interface for it, exposing it
directly to userspace thru that, and userspace drivers in the camera
software itself take over from there.  I know a bit about the technology
but haven't a clue on brands, but Anne says Kodak is known for not using
mass storage on theirs, so...

(As I mentioned, many PMPs, personal media players aka MP3 players, have a
similar issue.  The ones exposing a mass storage interface are the
simplest to handle there as well, but others don't have that, using some
media protocol (IDR the name exactly) instead.  Others, iPods
specifically, AFAIK, use mass storage, but new music must be listed in the
index file in ordered for the player to see it, so a userspace client that
understands and writes the index file must be used in ordered to have
files transferred to the device actually show up as playable.  Otherwise,
it's simply an expensive thumb drive, transferring files from place to
place, but not playing them.)