[kde-linux] Problem with kmail at startup

tonyb tonyb.lx at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 11 10:57:58 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 Feb 2010 11:00:25 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Duncan.

> Just so you know, kde 4.3.1 is a bit old.  There were 4.3.2 thru 4.3.5
> updates (the last of which just came out a week or so ago), and 4.4.0 is
> due out today (Feb. 9th).

I know, but it's just that I'm working on something at the moment that I don't
want to risk mucking up (and there's usually something that works differently
whenever I upgrade!).

> Alternatively, try a script like this:
>
> kmail &		# & starts the command in the background
> sleep 5		# wait 5 seconds to give it time to get going
> disown -a	# disown all, SIGHUP should no longer kill it
> exit 0		# this one's optional, you can simply end the script

This worked, thanks. The disown comand is a new one to me.

As a usage question, I receive posts from this list in digest mode. Does kmail
provide a way that I can reply to a specific post within the digest while
retaining the thread (which I suspect hasn't happened here, coz I just edited
the digest message)?

--
Cheers,

TonyB