[kde-linux] Problem with kmail at startup

tonyb tonyb.lx at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 9 09:44:11 UTC 2010

Suse 11.2
KMail Version 1.12.2
Using KDE 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1) "release 6"

I have two userids which I use, both of which are set (using System
Settings/Advanced/Autostart) to run kmail on login. On one of the userids,
kmail (usually) starts okay, on the other, it doesn't. I've also tried, on the
failing userid, starting kmail from my ~/.kde4/Autostart folder; if I do that,
I just get the message 'Kmail got signal 1; exiting' (or something like that).
Is there any file I can look at to get more information about what may be
happening?

The relevant(?) section of .xsession-errors is as follows, though I don't see
anything helpful in it:

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kmail
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_file.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/hp-systray
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-
authentication-agent-1
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kupdateapplet
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/ksmolt
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_klipper.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kgpg
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kmix.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /bin/bash
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /bin/bash
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /bin/bash
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /bin/bash
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/skype
warning: No hp: or hpfax: devices found in any installed CUPS queue.
Exiting.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.9.8)
System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

/usr/bin/skype: error while loading shared libraries: libXv.so.1: cannot open
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_trash.so
**** reading calendar input ***
<unknown program name>(5754)/: Communication problem with  "krunner" , it
probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive
a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,
or the network connection was broken." "

**** end of calendar input ****
[/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub] (Soprano::Redland::BackendPlugin) creating model
of type "hashes" with options "hash-
type='bdb',contexts='yes',dir='/home/tonyb/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/redland'"
<unknown program name>(5758)/: Communication problem with  "kmail" , it

--
Cheers,

TonyB