[kde-linux] How to shut off Tool Tips

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Aug 27 01:32:10 UTC 2010

Anoop posted on Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:49:28 +0530 as excerpted:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:38 PM, ka1ifq <ka1ifq at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> I just upgraded to Kde 4.4.4 and am looking for the place to
>> turn off 'tool tips'.
> For task manager you can do that through its settings. For others
> (Plasmoids etc), I haven't seen an option so far.

As suggested by the above, there's no global setting to turn off tooltips.
However...

The toggle for kwin window button tooltips, at least for some decorations,
is available in kcontrol (system settings that aren't, they're generally
kde specific and user specific, as here, thus the kde3 name, kcontrol,
was /far/ more accurate, and /far/ more googlable as well!).  The naming/
ordering has changed a bit between 4.4 and the 4.5 I'm running, but under
4.5, it's in Workspace Appearance and Behavior > Workspace Appearance >
Window Decorations, down at the bottom, configure buttons... dialog, Show
window button tooltips.

Also in kcontrol, still under Workspace Appearance and Behavior, but now
under Workspace, there's a delay setting for "Informational Tips".  These
are plasma's "fancy tooltips".  Here, it's set to a 0.7 second delay, but
using the spin buttons or setting the time directly, the time can be
increased upto 100 seconds, or decreased to zero, and one notch below that
is "Do not show".

KDE's notifications system was also dramatically changed for 4.5.
Different aspects of the behavior can be changed in systray settings
(context/right-click an empty space in the systray) and notification
settings (context-click on the notifications icon in the systray).  The
4.4 systray notifications system isn't quite as well defined and I don't
remember the details now, but it did allow some control.