[kde-linux] KDE about-dialog?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Aug 21 11:34:04 UTC 2010

On Saturday, 2010-08-21, Duncan wrote:
> zanghar posted on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:21:14 +0100 as excerpted:
> > I guess i have not been clear enough. I want to invoke the about dialog
> > from sys+emsettings > help > about kde manually. That other stuff is of
> > course known to me for years :)
>
> Hmm.  Maybe with dbus-send?  I've seen various dbus tutorials around, but
> don't know much about it, unfortunately.  But AFAIK, dbus messages seems
> like the way to do what you want.
>
> Kevin?  This sounds like one for you! =:^)

Can't find anything good either.
The weird thing is that I am quite positive that kdialog at least had such an
option at some point, but it doesn't seem to have it now :(

The best thing I can come up with is using kdialog --msgbox and the output of
any KDE program's --version and/or --author, e.g.

kdialog --msgbox "$(plasma-desktop --version)"

If someone feels up to a "junior job",  adding an about dialog to kdialog's
capabilities should be quite easy.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring