[kde-linux] KDE about-dialog?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Aug 21 09:54:17 UTC 2010

Christopher Roy Bratusek posted on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 08:50:24 +0200 as
excerpted:

> just wanted to ask, wether KDE4 got an about-dialog, similar to GNOMEs
> `gnome-about'? And if so, what command is the correct one, to call it
> from shell.

Well, I've not really run gnome since the gnome1 days, so what "similar to
GNOMEs gnome-about" means in practical terms, I really don't know.

Pretty much every kde4 app (even third party apps such as k3b) has two
entries on their help menu, tho, "about kde", and "about <app>", (where
<app> is the name of whatever app, of course).

>From a shell, pretty much every kde4 app (again including the third party
k3b, and "core" apps such as kded4) can be invoked with the --version/-v
option, which reports Qt version, KDE Development Platform version, and
again, app version.

$k3b -v
Qt: 4.6.3
KDE Development Platform: 4.5.00 (KDE 4.5.0)
K3b: 2.0.0
$kded4 -v
Qt: 4.6.3
KDE Development Platform: 4.5.00 (KDE 4.5.0)
KDE Daemon: $Id: kded.cpp 1156841 2010-07-29 19:59:05Z zander $
$

The --help option is also standardized, with a general --help listing the
specific help options as well as app-specific options.  --help-qt then
lists qt-general options, --help-kde lists kde general options, and
--help-all lists all three, app-specific, kde and qt options.  --license
(GPLv2 for apps) and --author options are also standard. (--license even
works for apps such as kded4 that apparently don't fill in that info, it
simply says no terms specified, see the docs or source.  Similarly
--author, which simply says to report bugs to http://bugs.kde.org, if the
app hasn't filled in anything specific.)

There's also kde4-config, which has options to output the various paths
and resource types, etc. again for both kde4 and qt4.