[kde-linux] konsole/bash/htop use bold characters and make characters unreadables

christophe christophe.dr at free.fr
Fri Aug 20 10:06:56 UTC 2010

Le Thursday 19 August 2010 06:38:57 Duncan, vous avez écrit :
> As
> I can't answer /what/ might be readable at a font size of 3 on your
> system.  But, what I /can/ say is that (on a more normal system) the font
> I mentioned has two sizes, 6 and 12.

Actually, i said "size 3" because it's what konsole says.
For exemple, i use opensuse 11.1, now. I use kde 3.5.10. And i am writing you
with kmail 1.9.10 and i use this "Misc Fixed" in size 5. And in konsole, i
use this "Misc Fixed" font in size 3. And it just "works" fine.

> The question is, are you /really/ using a 3 pt font, which is too small to
> be practical, 3/8/B must be at least 5 px high or there's no space between
> two of the horizontal strokes and they're merging, and at the 96 dpi
> standard, 3 pt is 4 px, or is it simply that your system calibration is
> seriously screwed up, so a 3 pt size font is what you have to set it to,
> to get reasonably small text?

In opensuse 11.1 with kde 3.5.10 , i look into /usr/share/font/misc/, and i
find that the most little font is 4x6.pcf.gz . When opened by kfontview, it
is said to be Misc Fixed [6 pixels] . And when i compare with konsole using
this so called "Misc Fixed size 3", it appears to be the same as what
kfontview calls "Misc Fixed [6 pixels]" .
So that's one mistery solved.

>[...]
> What I suspect is happening is that you're registering an impractically
> small dpi, likely less than 48 (half the standard 96),

How have i done such a registering ?

> [...]
> 1) Fixing it "correctly" will mean figuring out what the real setting
> should be, then putting it in xorg.conf.  That'll take some work and
> several rounds of posts back and forth.  To start off with, what version
> of xorg-server are you running,

Opensuse 11.3, where i have the font size problem, is supposed to be shipped
with xorg server version 1.8 .

> and either what brand and model of monitor
> (preferred as the official numbers can then be googled), or what size and
> either native resolution or native aspect ratio.  (Traditional CRTs
> generally had an aspect ratio of 4:3, ex 1600x1200 resolution; LCDs are
> often "wide screen" aspect ratio, 16:9, ex 1080x1920 full HD resolution,
> or 16:10, ex 1200x1920.)  And if you have the xdpyinfo command installed,
> what does 'xdpyinfo | grep resolution' (without the quotes, run in a
> konsole window) return?

The monitor is embodied in the laptop, and i know its exact model since i have
changed it myself a few month ago : it's a LG PHILIPS LP171WU1 (TL)(A6),
1920x1200 pixels, 17 inches .
[--christophe at myhost 12:00:45 ~] xdpyinfo |grep resolution
  resolution:    131x132 dots per inch
With xorg 1.8, there is no need for xorg.conf and i found none in /etc/X11 .
I have already edited many xorg.conf, in the 10 years i have used linux, now
shall i create one or edit some of the files in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf/
directory, to change dpi ??

> 2) A much simpler "quick fix" is to use KDE's font settings to force an
> arbitrary standard value.  Look in kcontrol (incorrectly called system
> settings, incorrectly, as it's there's very few system settings at all,
> but rather, it's mostly user specific and kde specific settings, so the
> kde3 name, kcontrol, is FAR more accurate, and more googlable as well),
> fonts, at the bottom.  Set "force fonts DPI" to something besides
> "disabled".  The standard DPI is 96, tho some ultra high-res monitors are
> 120.  I'd recommend setting 96 first.  You can try 120 later if you want,
> but 96 is likely to be more accurate with normal monitors.  You'll need to
> restart kde for the full effect to be registered.

I have tried to tweak the kde systemsettings dpi, tried idfferent settings,
logged off and in, but to no avail.

This conversation is interseting and i am learning a lot.

--
christophe