[kde-linux] Changed Monitor - Can't reconfigure display!

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Fri Aug 20 06:48:24 UTC 2010

Thank you Felix!

On 08/19/2010 07:12 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>  On 2010/08/19 15:44 (GMT-0700) Frank K composed:
>
> > This may not be a KDE problem, but I'll ask it here first. Env is
> > openSuse 11.2 with KDE 4.3.1.
>
> > I changed the monitor from a flat screen device to a CRT, but
> > using the same display card.
>
> > Upon reboot the display resolution comes up at 800x600 at 60Hz. The
> > menus are off screen, but I got to Configure Desktop > Display.
> > The only other choice given is 480.
>
> > If I reboot in failsafe the display comes up at 1024x768 but there
> > are no other choices available.
>
> > My display card is a Matrox Mellennium 16M dual head card. On the
> > same system, same HW and connections, the XP boot finds two dozen
> > adapter settings including the 1152x852 at 75Hz with 32K depth.
>
> > I saw in the sysconfig editor a place to mess with frame buffers
> > settings. In earlier times I've attempted to edit the free86
> > files, but seldom successfully. I've tried the CTL ALT Kp+ with no
> > change. It seems as if this display card is incompatible with
> > openSuse 11.2.
>
>  1-log out of X session
>  2-switch to a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6])
>  3-login as root
>  4-init 3
>  5-save a copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to ease switch back to an LCD like
your
>  old one
>  6-sax2 (choose to not accept the initial offering)
>  7-specify various settings to your like
>  8-exit/save, but don't bother with testing, which may force you to reboot
>  9-init 5
>  10-login normally
>  11-goto 1 to repeat if not quite right
>
>  If you still have trouble let me know and I'll find a working CRT
xorg.conf
>  for use with Matrox in 11.2, but let me know which resolution and
refresh you
>  prefer. The 11.2 on CRT I have booted now is on ATI running 1856x1392.
>
>  FYI, the 11.2 drivers for Matrox do not support randr, the modern
method of
>  controlling screen characteristics that is different and more complex
(though
>  usually automatic) than the old method you must use with Matrox.
>
>  FYI also if you upgrade to 11.3 or above, as with other distros newer than
>  11.2, it will be even more difficult. 11.3 & above have dropped sax2,
making
>  configuration of non-randr video chips much more difficult, though
generally
>  a saved xorg.conf from a previous release will either work as-is or be
a good
>  starting point for manual adjustment.
>
>  Better places to ask this would have been xorg at lists.freedesktop.org or
>  opensuse at opensuse.org lists.

        Thanks for the beautiful set of detailed directions! Things
        played out like you were actually doing it yourself while you
        were writing it down.

        I noticed that the grub display screen is still a little offset,
        but I can read and react to it if necessary.

        For the 17” CRT screen the 1152x864 is the size I prefer and I
        have that now with 24bit color depth and 75Hz vertical. Just
        like XP, sax2 showed about two dozen display choices.

        Frank K