[kde-linux] konsole/bash/htop use bold characters and make characters unreadables

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 18 18:12:39 UTC 2010

christophe posted on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:35:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> OK
> apparently, maybe i haven't explained correctly my problem. Is there
> anything i should rephrase ?

Your description was good, and I see the screenshots now too.  But I'm not
sure anyone here has a good answer.

The bold attribute you mention is probably an ANSI sequence (mostly color,
but a few other attributes like underline, etc, are available as well, and
bright and flash, either one of which is sometimes interpreted as bold).
One alternative might be to do a STDOUT wrapper that strips these
sequences.  Or you could try choosing a different font.

FWIW, I don't have nVidia here and won't, since they don't cooperate with
the freedomware folks, releasing specs or freedomware drivers.  I've not
seen the issue on the Radeon on my main machine or the Intel on my netbook,
but that could be simply due to the font I use (an old one that used to
ship with konsole for kde3, that's very readable and that I like very
much).  Unfortunately the font is named console font, making it impossible
to google, but I could possibly post it somewhere if you want to try it.
The license should be good for that, since it did used to ship with kde3
konsole.