[kde-linux] konsole/bash/htop use bold characters and make characters unreadables

christophe christophe.dr at free.fr
Wed Aug 18 07:35:58 UTC 2010

Le Sunday 15 August 2010 14:02:13 christophe, vous avez écrit :
> Hello,
>
> i have been searching a lot for a solution for this problem and posted 2
> threads in opensuse forum but couldn't find a solution.
> http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/install-boot-login/443914-
>11-3-64b-nvidia-kde4-font-color-bug-konsole.html
> http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/applications/443975-11-3-k
>de4-how-prevent-konsole-htop-bash-use-bold-character.html On opensuse 11.3,
> i use kde 4.4 with nvidia driver, and desktop effects are activated.
> I love to have htop runing on my desktop all the time so that i can keep an
> eye on what's going on. And i love to use the Fixed [Misc] font in the
> minimum size available so that i can see the maximum of information in the
> same window. I use font size 3 for this Fixed [Misc] font .
> It looks like every word in the normal terminal color is displayed
> correctly in the right font size, but some colored characters are not
> readable because it is displayed in a bigger font size.
> But for some unknown reasons konsole wants to display some chracaters and
> some words in bold . Since this font doesn't exist in size 3 in bold, it
> displays the bold characters in size 7, which is the smallest available
> bold size for this font set (Fixed [Misc]) . It makes any of these bold
> characters unreadable as they are too large compared to the room they have
> to be displayed.
>
> It used to be displayed very correctly in opensuse 11.1 / kde 3.5.10 . NB :
> it doesn't try to use some bold characters to display some coloured
> characters/words .
>
> I have tried some hacks, like making some fake bold fonts
> in /usr/share/fonts/misc/ but to no avail , or maybe i didn't make it
> correctly, since i am not an expert in fonts.
>
> I would like to attach a screenshot to explain what i mean, but i don't
> know if my message will be rejected with an attachment.
>
> Is there a way to prevent konsole/bash/htop to use bold characters where it
> is not necessary ?
> Maybe is there a way to solve this problem ?
>
> Thanks for your help.

OK
apparently, maybe i haven't explained correctly my problem.
Is there anything i should rephrase ?
The screenshot i have sent have not been accepted by the moderator apprently ,
i am sorry because these screenshots explained the problem correctly.
Moderator, can you accept my screenshots please ?
Or maybe i should ask my question to another mailing list ?
Anyone can help ?
Thanks.

--
christophe