[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 16 13:25:53 UTC 2010

  On 08/14/10 11:03, Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can send you the output of a pretended tree view of kde-meta from my
>>> system if it will help.  I use Gentoo here too.  This should help you
>>> see what depends on what and the versions as well.  It's quite a long
>>> list tho.   If you want it, I'll send it off list.
>>>

>> At present I just need to get my brain adjusted so I can read terse and
>> ambiguous messages correctly. :-D
>>
>> Duncan suggested that I probably did need the DocBook XML DTD 4.2, if
>> you could confirm that it would help.
>>
>> Strange thing is that I appear to have it installed.  So, I looked up
>> the scripts in version 5.0 of Beyond Linux From Scratch and reinstalled
>> it and now that error went away.
>>
>> There does seem to be a new dependency, perhaps it was optional for
>> KDE-4.4.  So, I installed it: LibDBusMenu-Qt version 0.3.0.  That was
>> the latest version.  Can you confirm that that is the correct version?
>> It did not build correctly due to a CMake problem.  Wonder if Gentoo has
>> found this and if there is a patch.
>>
>> And then I found that there is a Qt upgrade to 4.6.3 so it will take a
>> while till I can continue on KDE-4.5 as I am now rebuilding KDE-4.4
>> against the new Qt version.
>>

> I have these installed:
>
> docbook-xml-dtd-4.3-r1
> qt-dbus-4.6.2
>
> I could not find LibDBusMenu-Qt or anything close to that.  The only
> package with qt and dbus in the name is above.  I have a full blown KDE
> install here.
Well, this does seem to be strange.  Note that I am talking about KDE-4.5.

  I think that I have only installed versions 4.2 and 4.5 of the DocBook
DTD.  I am guessing that I simply screwed up the version 4.2 when I
installed 4.5.  I have to admit that I don't understand the BLFS scripts
for the DocBook stuff, I just use them.

LibDBusMenu-Qt is definitely required for KDE-4.5, and there is a Gentoo
package:

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt

> I'm with Duncan, you should really look into trying Gentoo.  It's Linux
> from Scratch with a package manager.  This would save you a lot of
> headaches.  You still control all the flags and can watch the compile
> process as well.  Heck, you can do it manually if you want
LFS & BLFS have canned scripts and instructions to install most
packages.  The exception is KDE-4 which they don't seem to have wanted
to tackle.

--

James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch