[kde-linux] Not installing KDE-4.5

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 14 08:43:05 UTC 2010

  On 08/13/10 21:29, Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:10:09 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> So, I am trying to build KDELibs-4.5 and the CMake output has some
>> interesting things in it:
>>
>> -- Found Phonon: /opt/KDE-4.5/include  (found version "4.4.2", required
>> is "4.3.80")
>>
>> I installed KDESupport-for-4.5 so I should have the correct version!
> On gentoo, kdelibs-4.5.0's phonon dependency is>= phonon-4.3.80 (with the
> xcb USE flag enabled), so 4.4.2 should be fine.  In fact, that's what I
> built my kde-4.5 on, here.
>
> So as Kevin implies, the "required" must be a minimum version, so your
> 4.4.2 should be fine and that doesn't look to be an error.
>

>> -- Found SharedDesktopOntologies: /opt/KDE-4.4/share/ontology  (found
>> version "0.5.50", required is "0.4")
>>
>> This isn't in KDESupport-for-4.5 but KDE-4.4 builds against the same
>> version; it appears that 4.4 doesn't check the version.
> Same here.  The dependency is>=0.4, I built against 0.5 (tho not the
> 0.5.50 it says it found in your case), so that should be fine.

Further reading of the CMake output (at the end) does not say that they
were found and does not say that they were not found.  Nice :-(

  IAC, you are saying that the problem is the wording of the message
(">=" is missing) and in fact they are found correctly.

And yes, reading the CMakeCache.txt file does indicate that they were found.
>> -- Could NOT find DocBook XML DTDs (v4.2)  (missing:
>> DOCBOOKXML_CURRENTDTD_DIR)
>>
>> Does KDE really require the older version 4.2 or is this the same type
>> of problem as above since I have 4.5 installed?  But, I can look up in
>> the archives of Linux From Scratch and install the old ones if
>> necessary, but I have no such problem building KDE-4.4.
> This one appears to be your error.
>
> On Gentoo, docbook-xml-dtd (and some of the other docbook packages as
> well) is slotted, with 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, and 4.5 slots installed (required as
> dependencies for various things I have installed) on my system.  This
> STRONGLY suggests that for this package, it's the minor version number
> that's compatibility-maintained, NOT the usual major version number, or
> the<  4.5 versions would have been removed long before now.
>
> And in fact, on gentoo the kdelibs-4.5 docbook-xml-dtd dependency is
> indeed slotted to 4.2.
>
> Thus, yes, for docbook-xml-dtd, you'll need the specific minor version
> mentioned, 4.2.  The higher 4.5 version will not fill the dependency in
> this case.
Still, as I said, there is no problem building KDE-4.4.  But, I can
install 4.2 but that doesn't solve the two mysteries: (1) why does
KDE-4.4 build with no error; (2) why is KDE still using the old version.

<SNIP>
> I've just seen you struggling with the dependencies time and again, and
> know how gentoo solves that with its build scripts, so you don't have to
> worry about any of that unless you actually want to.
And, as I am sure you know, KDE used to have a web page that listed the
dependencies but it was taken down.  IMHO, there is no excuse for not
having it.  The replacement for this was a page on TechBase suggesting
that you use the packages from your distro, but not stating which
versions were required.  So, now the only information on which apps and
which versions are required is this TechBase page:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/LFS

And it appears that the author (I) of the page has no resources with
which to find the information other than trial and error; it is this
trial and error that results in the struggles.  How do the Gentoo people
find this stuff out.  Do the developers refuse to help them as well, or
do they cooperate?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch