[kde-linux] Different behavior between console andtaskbar invocation?

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Thu Aug 12 06:01:06 UTC 2010

On 08/11/2010 03:05 AM, Duncan wrote:
>  James Kerr posted on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:20:18 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> > On Wednesday 11 August 2010 Frank K wrote:
> >
> >>           List, I’m curious why Thunderbird and Firefox invoke from
> >> my taskbar with a “bouncing” icon but a terminal invocation seems to be
> >> “immediate”?
> >>

> >>           The minute long “bouncing” icon gives the impression that
> >> the application is looking for something it can't find.
> >

> > For some reason, when  Firefox is launched the busy cursor continues to
> > display until it times out. The only way that I know to correct this is
> > to reduce the time-out or disable the busy cursor altogether, in
> > systemsettings - Desktop - Launch Feedback.
> >
> > I don't use thunderbird, but I assume the same applies to it.
> >
> > (I use Mandriva's firefox packages.)
>
>  As you note, kde calls this "launch feedback" (AFAIK gnome has something
>  similar) and it's configured per-user kde-wide in kcontrol (wrongly
called
>  systemsettings in kde4, even tho it's mostly kde user-specific settings,
>  NOT system-wide settings, kde3 name was more accurate AND more properly
>  googlable, and the modules are still called kcms, kcontrol modules).
>
>  But it's also possible to control it per *.desktop file and/or menu
>  entry.  In the menu editor (kmenuedit in krunner, or context-click and
>  choose it on any kickoff/classic-kmenu/lancelot plasmoid icons), it's one
>  of the checkboxes on the menu tab for any of application menu items.
>
>  An app must support the common freedesktop.org launch feedback standard,
>  as most gnome and kde apps should by default but many of the old X apps
>  and of course terminal apps won't, by default, before the launch-feedback
>  feature will actually work for it.  That's why it's a per-menu-item
>  option, as some apps listed in the menu will support launch feedback and
>  others won't.
>
>  Apparently, mozilla based apps don't support it, or if they're supposed
>  to, it's broken, thus the background-busy cursor never goes away (until
>  the desktop-wide timeout has elapsed) because the app never tells the
>  launcher that it's done and ready.

          Thank you James, Duncan,

          Learn something every day!

          My concern was that the Mozilla apps were looking for
          something since they are installed in a root accessible
          partition. Originally I installed FF and TB from my opensuse
          DVD. When I upgraded to the tarballs, I just change the
          /usr/bin links from the distro versions to the tarball versions.

          With the advice contributed by the two of you, I went into
          Configure Desktop > Desktop > Launch Feedback. The best
          solution for now was to reduce the Launch FB from 30 to 5sec.
          That worked OK.

          Now I know also that terminals are exempt from the launch
          feedback.

          thanks a million for your responses! Frank K