[kde-linux] Have lost the launch button on KDE4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 7 08:26:42 UTC 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009 09:12:02 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> On Sunday 06 September 2009 01:18:45 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 September 2009 17:48:24 AG wrote:
> > > Anne - tried Lancelot.  Is it supposed to be this big cup (holy
>
> grail?)
>
> > > sitting on one's desktop?
> >
> > Yes, it's the grail ;-), but it's more usual to put it into the panel.
>
> If
>
> > it's on your desktop, remove it, right-click on the panel and add it
>
> from
>
> > there.
> >
> > > Seemed to be mostly like the default,
> > > although this was just from a reasonably cursory look.
> >
> > Similar to look at, yes.  The main thing is the ability to descend
>
> through the
>
> > menus without having to click, then click again to get back up.  Play
>
> with it.
>
> > If you don't like it, it's easily removed.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hello, Anne --
>
> I have followed this thread with some curiosity and interest.  When I
> added the Lancelot item to the task-bar area, it placed both itself and
> the Cashew plasmoid at the extreme right-hand end of the task-bar
> (without affecting the larger upper-right-corner Cashew).  I would prefer
> that Lancelot (in particular) go over to the left-hand end, but it seems
> to resist drag-and-drop.  Can this also be done?  If so, what is the
> secret to doing it?  And THANK YOU for all of your kind assistance!!!

To move things on the panel, click the cashew at the extreme right of it.
That opens up the panel configuration panel.  Now when you hover over anything
on the panel you get a diamond-shaped icon.  Use that icon to drag lancelot to
where you want it, then use the re-circled-X to close the configuration panel.

There are some useful short screencasts at
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/HowTohttp://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/HowTo
- each one lasts only a few seconds, but loops, so that you have time to
digest exactly what's happening.  For anyone using KDE 4.3.x and still not
feeling confident I really recommend bookmarking that page. :-)