[kde-linux] Konsole Immunity Lost

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Sep 3 21:45:54 UTC 2009

David Baron wrote:
> I never had them before in konsole or yakuake--all those syslogd messages
> about various internet packets aborted, i.e. by firewall or fail2ban. With the
> latest and greatest 4.3.1, now I get them.
>
> I really do not want them as they make the console almost unusable. So how do
> I get rid of them?

You can control this by setting:

/proc/sys/kernel/printk

My system has this set to 3 4 1 7 and I had to read the manual (manpages
proc and syslog) to know what that means.  I think that it is the first
number that you need to change.  A lower number means less messages.

You can see what your system is currently set at with (as root):

cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk

and then set it with:

echo "3 4 1 7" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

To permanently change this, edit:

/etc/sysctl.conf

--
James Tyrer