[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:15:29 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 17:38:54 jim wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 17:59:26  Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've seen this sort of thing before, and I have a theory which may of
> >  course be totally invalid.  If the document has the landscape property
> >  embedded in it, then printing to portrait will read the instruction and
> >  rotate the print as necessary, whereas printing a landscape-format
> >  image, for instance, doesn't have it embedded and you must do it
> >  manually, in the print dialog.  Does that make sense?
>
> Assuming your correct, how do you propose I print the document
> in Okular?
> If I manually select 'landscape' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
> The image is printed across the page.
> If I manually select 'portrait' mode in the 'Printer-Properties' dialog.
> The image is printed across the page.
> If I just select Print from the File menu (leave all settings as default),
> The image is printed across the page.
>
> If the document has 'portrait' property embedded in it, than apparently
> there is nothing I can do manually to override that.
>
> Its not a major problem for me, I have other utilities I can use to print
> the document correctly (XFig, Gimp, Display).
>
> Whatever happened to KPDF and Xpdf?

I very much doubt that your image has any orientation embedded in it.  I
created a large image and tried it myself.  The print properties correctly
told me that it was going to print to landscape.  Then it printed to portrait,
losing part of the image.  I think this has to be an okular bug, since I
frequently print to landscape in other applications.