[kde-linux] KWifiManager ?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Oct 9 08:22:02 UTC 2009

On Thursday, 2009-10-08, Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi,
> after building KDE-4.3.0 I am trying to do the same on my laptop. I had to
> realize, that kdenetwork do not more include a KWifiManager, as kde-3.5
>  did. What shall we do ? googling, I found, that a Network-Manager in solid
>  was to be announced ( Aug. 2008 ). Later, some comments indicates the
>  existence of a widget, that takes over the tasks of KWifiManager. However,
>  the only thing I found in the add widgets plasma was a network usage
>  monitor.
> No  question, I can continue using my old  kwifimanager and my old wpa-
> supplicant  from kde-3.5 to perform my communications. But is this the
>  kde-4 solution ? As I do not think so, can somebody tell me more or less
>  what steps I shall do ?

Since I already had a networkmanager based setup in KDE3 I continued using
that on KDE4, i.e. using the KDE3 KNetworkManager GUI for controlling the
NetworkManager system service.

Some distributions already package the Plasma based networkmanager GUI so
users of those should be able to use this instead.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring