[kde-linux] kopete and jabber

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 8 09:04:33 UTC 2009

Ryan Rix wrote:
> david wrote:
>> The message from the Yahoo admin - I got it, too - says that Kopete
>> 0.12.7 is too old a client. I don't know why, although I presume us poor
>> old KDE3 users won't get that problem fixed anytime soon ... anyway,
>> Pidgin 2.4.3 works fine with Yahoo.
>
> Yahoo changed the server protocol. KDE4 is patched for it, and pidgin, but
> we'll likely NOT see the fix backported to KDE3.

Gee, starting to sound almost Microsoftish there: "You want to talk our
new protocol/file format, buy the new version."

And "Buy" applies even to free software. Instead of money, you're paying
with your own time and effort to install, configure, debug, etc.

Never know about backports, though. This kind of thing sounds like it
would have absolutely KDE4-dependent connections. It can't be that hard,
or Pidgin wouldn't already be talking the new server protocol. I
wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't do a backport.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community