[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:31:44 UTC 2009

On Thursday 08 October 2009 06:44:14 Bruce Miller wrote:

> Late this evening, I checked the default printer settings under Kubuntu's
>  "System Settings." This is Kubuntu's substitute for the KDE Control
>  Centre.

Correction - it is KDE's replacement for kcontrol.

>  The default printer margins were set to the traditional maximum
>  imageable area for HP LaserJets (at least for the older ones; I am less
>  familiar with the most modern ones). This is 0.5" (12.7mm) top and bottom
>  and 0.25" (6.4mm) left and right. I altered these to slightly larger
>  margins all round.
>
> I then tried starting Konqueror and printing two text documents from
>  Wikipedia; I used the "printer-friendly" versions of both articles.
>
> Several observations:
> 1. the Printer Properties dialogue in the KDE print engine (at least when
>  Konqueror called it) did not respect the default margins which I had just
>  changed.

How did you set up your printer?  Since you mentioned HP, are your printers
supported by hplip?  If so, did you use it to set them up?  If not, did you
set them up in CUPS?

>  2. the units of measure for the margins default to metric, rather
>  than to the user's system default.

What is the setting in SystemSettings > Region and Language > Region &
Language > Other tab > Measurement system ?

>  3. printing with the current KDE printer engine is still an all-or-nothing
>  proposition. There is no way to define a print range.

This is the latest refinement, but it has not yet reached most distros.

>  This would be a real
>  bore if one wanted to print, say, only one page out of a 100-page
>  document.

Huh?  You can do that anyway.  What you can't do until the new version is
available to you is print p.5-9, 15.

>  4. There is no way to customize a Konqueror print header. It is
>  hard-coded.

>  5. Don't bother looking for footers in Konqueror. They don't
>  exist.

Konqueror is not a printer engine.  You are looking in the wrong place.

>  6. My two texts, one quite long, printed without error. Konqueror
>  always broke the page at the end of a paragraph. I checked all 15 pages of
>  output carefully: there was no missing text.

>  7. However, a long table
>  caused a train wreck. In the document
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=RAID&printable=yes there is a
>  long table which begins on page

>  3. This table did not print on page 3; it
>  was superimposed (subimposed?) on page 4. This was not a paper jam, it
was
>  a rendering engine failure.

Many web pages will not print out as expected, either with the kde print
engine or any other.  There are pages that give you several pages of empty
content or navigation panel before you get anything useful.  The only useful
test is printing something that you have proved to be a good clean web page.