[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Thu Oct 8 02:40:56 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 12:59:51 jim wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:10:21 +0100 Anne Wilson wrote:
> >As for the comment about no-one caring about losing lines - that's about
> > as silly as it can get, and not worthy of a reply.
>
> Maybe not, can you do me a favour? Compose a text file similar to
> ''Line 1"<CR>, "Line 2"<CR>, etc. for a total of approximately 70 lines.
>  Save it and then load it into KWrite and print it. The type of printer
> should not matter. Let me know if all the lines and headers/footers
> are printed correctly.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Phelps

I had an issue with CUPS, but I resolved that.

So then I had time to check kde3 vs kde4.

Under KDE4, when I print the file without headers and footers, no lines are
missing, but when I print it with a header and no footer, the header causes
lines to extend into the bottom margin and there is no header on the second
page. Line 56 is missing and Line 57 is in the top margin of page 2.

KDE3 worked correctly, that is, it printed the header, recognizing the top
margin, then printed the body lines 1-54, a blank line(this might be a bug),
and then the footer, respecting the bottom margin.

In short, it appears than when headers or footers are used under kde4, their
size doesn't get subtracted from the page when it calculates the room for the
body.