[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 7 18:31:52 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 12:59:51 jim wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:10:21 +0100 Anne Wilson wrote:
> >As for the comment about no-one caring about losing lines - that's about
> > as silly as it can get, and not worthy of a reply.
>
> Maybe not, can you do me a favour? Compose a text file similar to
> ''Line 1"<CR>, "Line 2"<CR>, etc. for a total of approximately 70 lines.
>  Save it and then load it into KWrite and print it. The type of printer
> should not matter. Let me know if all the lines and headers/footers
> are printed correctly.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Phelps

I did exactly that.  I have a Brother HL-6050DN, which is a laser on my
network, i.e., I get to it via an IP adx, not USB or parallel port.  I believe
it also has a USB port, so I could try that config if desired.

I lost lines because KWrite and Kate don't currently get the margins from this
printer. It looked like .25 inch on each margin would fix it, and it did, but
it doesn't (Kate and KWrite) save the margins between print jobs.

So I believe the most important "bug" is that these apps need to save margins.
The next most important bug is that these apps should be able to query the
printer driver for these margins.

If other people are able to retrieve printer margins from the driver, then
perhaps I should test mine hooked up via USB. Using CUPS and IPP suits my
situation best, though.

BTW, I'm running KDE4.3.1 on FreeBSD 7.2p4.