[kde-linux] Desktop widget like Windows Vista sidebar/clock thing?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:41:27 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 09:48:29 Duncan wrote:
> Anne Wilson posted on Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:58:33 +0100 as excerpted:
> > With that as a guide, I'll give it another try on my aging ATi Mobility
> > Radeon X600.  First impressions are that it's certainly not as slow, so
> > I'll stick with it a while and see whether it helps.
> >
> > Meanwhile, would you mind writing that up on UserBase?  The right place,
> > I think, would be http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance#systemsettings
>
> I'll take another look at it.  I've looked at userbase a couple times,
> and just didn't get the hang of it.  Maybe I think too geeky and it's to
> Language major-ish a setup or something.  I just couldn't find anything
> useful there at all.  Only some rather vague descriptions of what a few
> apps did, etc.

It's important that the language is not geeky - it has to be understandable by
total newbies, and by people who don't have English as a first language, since
getting everything translated into every language is a big job.

The 'vague descriptions' are starting points.  Every application can have a
Hints and Tips section added.  It's a good way to spread around the enormous
number of small knowledge bytes that are around.

The link I gave you above, though, is the area that deals with graphics cards
issues.

> But meanwhile, I was reading about all these tips that
> were being put there... but I couldn't see how to access them or
> anything.  <shrug>  Maybe it was for the semantic desktop types.  (While
> I can sort of see the use, practically speaking, all that semantic
> desktop stuff seems to be more hassle with the indexing and the space
> that takes and etc, than that's worth, too, so I just configure it as
> close to turned off at compile time as possible, tho that's getting
> harder each 4.x version, and don't use it.)

Nope - nothing to do with semantic desktop.  If you need to find something and
don't know where to look, try the search box.  You'll get translated pages
listed as well as English ones, but the short quote from each page should tell
you enough to know whether a page is a likely result, and they are all
clickable links.

> As you can probably tell, I was a bit frustrated, reading about all these
> nice writeups on userbase, but not seeing a "sane" (from my perspective)
> way to access them.  But maybe it's changed, and with a specific URL, I
> can at least follow it and put something there.  Or maybe I just missed
> it and going back it'll be as easy this time as it seemed unobvious last
> time. <shrug>

UserBase is meant to be a place to share knowledge, and to give mutual help by
doing that.  It is what we make it.  Anything really technical needs to be on
techbase, but on userbase there can be anything from a tutorial/demonstration
to help a first-time user, to a reasonsably advanced technique, as long as it
refers to KDE, and as long as it's something ordinary, even if advanced, users
will want to use - i.e. not programming stuff.

> FWIW, if I can figure it out, I can probably writeup something on setting
> up a replacement for the ksysguard kicker applets too, using yasp-
> scripted.  That was another big issue in the switch for me.  We'll see
> how that goes.  And maybe my multi-key hotkey solution too, tho that's
> probably a bit too geeky looking for some folks, but it might help a few
> people not to have to duplicate the hours I sunk into it, posting my
> script solutions, etc.

Definitely - that the sort of thing that needs to be there.  As you say, it
can be enormously helpful to other people.  If you are going to talk about
Plasmoids they probably go into
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Plasmoids#System_Widgets.  You may find a
better place for the multi-key hotkey solution, but my first thought would be
that it should be number 7 on http://userbase.kde.org/General_KDE_Problems

If I can be any help, you know where to find me.