[kde-linux] Recovering icons for KDE-4 applications

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 7 11:13:38 UTC 2009

Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> I lost some icons for some KDE-4 applications. For example, Kget. If I park
> KGet in the panel after launching, it shows an interrogation icon. I would
> like to assign the corresponding KGet icon instead. Can somebody tell me how
> to do this ? Generally speaking: how can I assign an icon to an application
> let me say of kdebase ?

Normally, the SystemTray icon name is hardcoded so there is no way for
the user to change it.

This icon can either be a global icon in "$KDEDIR/share/icons/..." or a
private icon in: "$KDEDIR/share/apps/<app name>/icons/hicolor/...".
Sometimes there are also themed icons in: "$KDEDIR/share/apps/<app
name>/icons/<theme>/..." or the icons are incorrectly stored with a
<theme> of "oxygen" even when they are the only icon and/or are unthemed
icons.  For example, Konqueror has "google" icons in "oxygen" even
though they are generic (and therefore HiColor) icons and there is no
"hicolor" directory.  Note: as long as the default theme is not changed,
this should cause no problems, but you should be aware of it if you are
going to change icons.

If the icon is a private icon, you can change it by replacing the icon
with one with the same name.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch