[kde-linux] Desktop widget like Windows Vista sidebar/clock thing?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Oct 7 06:53:10 UTC 2009

david posted on Tue, 06 Oct 2009 20:23:34 -1000 as excerpted:

> Too bad it's necessary to use a text terminal. Perhaps worth having a
> script for it, with a link on the desktop to let you run the script.

Well, it's not /necessary/ to use the text terminal.  That was just the
most convenient way for me to do it.  I could (and did with kwin, back in
2006 or so when X composite and the kde support for it was new and buggy
and had a memory leak that would do bad things to X and the window
manager) create a script to do it if I wanted to.

> Interesting and very geeky. Thanks.

LOL.  Well, I wear the geek badge proudly, thank you! =:^)  So that was
quite the compliment.  It might not be a solution to work for everyone,
but it works just great for me. =:^)

Actually, I used the same SIGTERM trick when setting up my yasp-scripted
plasmoids, as well, as I had problems with crashing plasma-desktop when I
first started trying to configure them and didn't really know what I was
doing.  I should do a screenshot and turn it in to put on kde-look for
the plasmoid.... and turn in the scripts I'm using, too.  He was hoping
folks would turn in scripts and maybe start a script-sharing community or
some such for it, or at least he could ship some of them in the tarball
as sample scripts or something.  I do have it setup really nice, now. =:^)