[kde-linux] Desktop widget like Windows Vista sidebar/clock thing?

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Tue Oct 6 16:51:58 UTC 2009

Am Tuesday 06 October 2009 15:46:42 schrieb Duncan:
> david posted on Tue, 06 Oct 2009 00:14:50 -1000 as excerpted:
> > Really? Sad. When KDE4 finally gets out of beta (about v4.5, I think),
> > then it can be the "default" assumption. ;-)
>
> I agree (to the point I'm sure some around here consider me a Johnny
> Onenote on the topic).  I'm fine running betas and alphas and even raw
> direct-git-synced repos, and 4.2.4 was finally getting to early beta
> level, basically.  4.3.0 and 4.3.1 each fixed some more serious bugs, I'd
> say late beta, now, and 4.4.0 (set for February) is looking to fix a
> number of others that can't be fixed in the 4.3 series.  I'd say it
> should be rc level, with 4.5 being, finally, full release level,
> hopefully.

well, just to add my 0.02 € to this 'state-of-kde4-discussion' :)
I think kde 4.3(.x) has already reached a point where it normally can be
recommended for everyday use, with regard to features/stability.
in fact, there are clearly things that work even better than in 3.5.10 (e.g.
konqueror's improved javascript support, many nice/useful features in kontact
etc. etc.).
for me, the reason to stick with 3.5 is solely kde4's darn
slowness/unresponsiveness, which just drives me nuts every time I boot into
it.
and yes, I have tried ALL proposals I got to improve this, to no avail.
to be honest, I have almost given up the hope on a real improvement here
(which will probably turn out I'll give up on kde and try something else once
3.5 has become obsolete/unusable - I'm NOT willing to buy latest hardware
just to be able to run a current OS/desktop at a reasonable performance, as
is an accepted standard in the windoze world).

werner