[kde-linux] Custom launcher on KDE4 toolbar?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Oct 1 07:04:22 UTC 2009

Art Edwards posted on Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:36:45 -0600 as excerpted:

> I have just set up KDE4 on a jaunty box (AMD-64). Is there yet a simple
> way to add a custom launcher? If not, is there a way to make the kicker
> see other applications. I would like to put lyx and xemacs on a toolbar.
> Of all the bells and whistles (weather reports, etc.) putting a simple
> launcher that allows the user to choose the application and an icon
> seems pretty basic. I have tried modifying an existing launcher. It
> reminded me of the toast scene from "Five Easy Pieces."

Both of these are possible.

You don't mention which version of kde4, and "Jaunty" doesn't tell me
much as I'm a Gentoo user, but there's some differences between 4.2 and
4.3 -- the 4.x version jumps come out every six months and include some
pretty big improvements, while the 4.x.y versions come out monthly, and
include minor fixes.  4.3.1 is current, with 4.3.2 due on the first Oct.
or so, and I'm running current, so if you're behind that, the details
might be slightly different, but if you can't do it with what you have,
you can either upgrade, or wait for the next Ubuntu and upgrade with it.

First, changing the menu.  If you right click on the kicker icon, you can
choose menu editor.  You can add, change and move around stuff on the
apps menu from there, to your heart's content.

Of course you can also switch to the lancelot kicker alternative menu
(here on Gentoo at least, it's part of the kdeplasma-addons package), or
revert to the classic kde 3.5 style kmenu.  The classic choice is another
option in that right-click menu, or it's available as a plasmoid in the
add-widget, and that's where you'll find lancelot as well, in the add-
widget dialog.  (BTW, there's a whole new and much improved plasmoid
explorer that'll replace the current add widget solution, for 4.4, I've
been reading about it on kde-planet.  It was just checked in a couple
weeks ago.)  Lancelot actually has another menu you can modify as well,
its system menu.

Second, you can actually drag stuff from the kicker and lancelot menus,
to the desktop or any panel, to create launchers.  You can do this with
individual app icons, or whole submenus.  Thus, if desired, you could
create your own application favorites menu or whatever you want to call
it in kmenuedit, copy whatever menu items to it from wherever else in the
apps menu they may be, and then after saving that so the apps menu is
changed accordingly, you could drag that submenu from there to the panel
or desktop and have your own little launcher menu, with just the things
you want.

Third, there's a quick-launch widget you can add (again, to the desktop
or any panel).  By default it comes with konqueror and dolphin configured
as icons, but you can right click and add whatever you'd like, browse to
the program, whatever.

Fourth, there's all sorts of additional plasmoids available for download
at kdelook.  You can browse it in konqueror, or from the add widget
dialog, choose install new widgets, download new plasma widgets.  Tuxbar
is one you could search for (on-site, I don't see it listed in the most
downloaded, highest rated, or newest, the ones the plasmoid downloader
shows), inUtileBar is another (like #2 on the most downloaded list), and
TextLaunch is a bit different style (text buttons instead of icons, it
appears), showing up in my newest plasmoids list ATM.

Also note that it's possible, using kmenuedit, to add hotkeys to anything
in the memu to launch it directly.  That's actually how I had kde3 setup,
using a keyboard hotkey launcher, and how I have kde4 setup, but see the
next paragraph.

Unfortunately, khotkeys for kde4 doesn't work well with multi-key, they
way I had kde3 setup, so I had to script my own solution.  I have one of
those internet/multimedia keyboards with a bunch of "extra" keys, and use
one of them as a launcher key, basically invoking a custom menu, then hit
a second key that invokes the individual app I want to launch.  Basically
what I did is setup a custom "Input Action" (in kmenu/systemsettings,
input actions) that launches konsole with a special profile, etc, and
runs a script in it.  That script reads a config file that lists all the
apps I have setup, displaying them in a konsole based menu, along with
the invoking key sequence.  It then waits for a single character as
input.  When it gets one, it compares it against the config file to see
if there's a match, and launches the associated application.  That
special konsole window then closes.  Thus, I hit a single "launch" key to
invoke the launcher, then a second key (possibly with modifiers) to
invoke whatever app I want, from the launcher.  So, for instance,
"Launch,f", starts the application I've configured as my filemanager
(dolphin in this case), "Launch,t" starts my terminal window applet of
choice (konsole), "Launch,w" my web browser of choice (konqueror), etc.

So I don't use icon launchers but keyboard hotkey launchers, here.  But
that's just a matter of style.  Use what works best for you.