[kde-linux] Am I Alone?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 1 00:26:11 UTC 2009

Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> I followed nearly a dozen postings on this issue ( _what_issue_really_? ) in
> the last days. In my opinion this war is not helpfull, not fair and is
> frustating for all the people working on KDE-4.

What I think that Duncan (and I) find frustrating is Ms. Wilson's
instance that there are no problems.  The problems are mostly small
ones, but there are real problems that need to be fixed.

> I build a linux system with KDE-3.5 from the scratch, and, in parallel, a
> KDE-4.3.0 for a user "kde4", according to advices given by the KDE-people.

If you used:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x

then said 'people' would be me.  I originally wrote it for people that
knew what they were doing and just need some hints.  Now that more
people are using KDE-4, I have been adding to it to make is more usable
to a less knowledgeable audience.  If you have suggestions, please feel
free to contact me: tyrerj at acm.org.

I will try to provide suggestions on how to switch to KDE-4 in the near
future.

> Step by step, I am now using KDE-4 for most applications I used in KDE-3,
> grosso modo without problems. I am doing payments with QBanking, controlling
> transactions, managing bank accounts etc. with KmyMoney, working with
> virtualboxes running windows, using kmail, Staroffice. etc.  So in no way I
> can agree with you, that KDE-4 is not usable, compared with KDE-3.  I am
> using it already !

Good to see your success.  I have also switched to KDE-4.3 BRANCH.  I
find that it works.  However, I do have to say that there a lot of small
issues that need to be resolved.

> I would suggest to stop the turn-around-fight.
<SNIP>
You are correct.  However, there would be no fight if Ms. Wilson was
willing to accept the fact that people are having various problems with
KDE-4 and try to resolve them rather than insisting that everything is
fine.  To fix problems, you have to find them.  Fixing the problems will
result in a better product.  The "fanboy" attitude does not result in a
better product.  I hope that when you find some minor issues that you
will report them to:

http://bugs.kde.org/

Doing so will help the developers improve your KDE experience.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch