[kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Mon Nov 30 19:40:53 UTC 2009

At 18:31:11 on Monday Monday 30 November 2009, Werner Joss
<werner at hoernerfranzracing.de> wrote:
> Am Monday 30 November 2009 17:21:27 schrieb Stan Goodman:
> > I'd be grateful for advice on how to restore this functionality.
>
> maybe running kbuildsycoca --global helps (kbuildsycoca4 for kde4)
> - this should rebuild the control center database/cache.
>
> werner

This is what happened:

# kbuildsycoca --global
Warning: kbuildkbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP

That sounds like the reason the problem exists in the first place.

I should also mention that upon boot, there is a dialog box, as follows:

*****
x console <2>
smartd[2004]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 2 offline uncorrectable sectors
Console log
*****

This seems to mean that I have two bad sectors in the area of the HD used
by this OS. I suppose this may be what is behind the non-functional
kcontrol.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on