[kde-linux] KDE4.3.1 ON DEBIAN lenny

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 29 12:59:03 UTC 2009

On Saturday, 2009-11-28, Zacheus Mbogo wrote:
> Hi. I recently downloaded the sources for kde4.3.1 and I don't know
> how to go about compiling them. Anybody who can offer assistance?

It basically works like this:
- you switch into the source directory of any of the modules, starting with
kdelibs, then kdepimlibs, then in any order you  like

- inside each source topdirectory you create a build directory, e.g. "build"

- you switch into that build directory and run

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/where/you/want/to/install/to

and then

make

and finally

make install

(depending on where you install to you might need root priviledes for the last
step)

Each cmake step will check the requirements of the respective module, i.e.
which libraries have to be present before KDE can be built.
These might be available as Debian packages (library and -dev package), but
since we are talking about Lenny here the versions could not be recent enough.
In which case you'll have to build those from newer sources as well.

You could additionally ask on debian-kde (Debian's main KDE list) there might
be other users who did the same thing or there might even be backport
repositories.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring