[kde-linux] New laptop suggestions

Lita Letourneau linux.lita at suddenlink.net
Sat Nov 21 22:09:35 UTC 2009

I have purchased 3 different laptops this year...all are dual-boot with
Windows® and Linux (OpenSuse & Kubuntu).

Systems are:

HP Pavilion dv4 MX 1275 SE w/AMD Turion x2 Ultra Dual Core Mobile ZM-80
2.10 Ghz; 4.0 GB Ram (64 bit)
I have Vista Home Basic®/OpenSuse 11.1 and I can run my bluetooth mouse
on my Linux just fine...took a bit of tweaking but it works.
(this is my system)

We purchased two Toshiba L305-S5920's -- Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3400
2.16 Ghz; 2 BG PC at -6400 DDR SDRAM (up to 4 GB); 160 GB h/d; DVD+/-RW;
Intel Graphics; Atheros wireless...Both came w/Vista Home Basic® (we
nuked one & replaced with a builder's version of XP Home®)
The XP® machine has XP®/RC7®/OpenSuse 11.1 on it (tri-boot)
The Vista® machine has Vista®/Kubuntu 9.04 on it (dual-boot)

Before purchasing these, I also had OpenSuse on a Dell Inspiron 8600
that we purchased from Mr. Notebook...it also ran ok with my Linux side
(was dual boot as well).

Hope this helps...you can look as the system you are interested in and
Google the chipset/CPU/Graphics cards, etc. to check to see if there are
any major issues when using with Linux.

Hope this helps,

Lita Letourneau, B.S.
IT Director