[kde-linux] Goodbye

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Nov 15 13:43:31 UTC 2009

John Layt posted on Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:19:54 +0000 as excerpted:

> Just as a data point, I have here an eee 701 and an eee 901 that both
> run the latest openSuse without problem.  There's plenty of reports of
> KDE4 running fine on 512Mb, and even 256Mb without much tweaking.  It
> really is that variable.

I was thinking about that a couple months ago...  How could they do full
screen video playback, etc, when it can be a struggle for even semi-
decent machines?  Then I remembered that they're only running AFAIK
1280x800 or there abouts, the 701 rather smaller than that, I believe.
That's a LOT smaller screen resolution than my dual 1920x1200s...   Some
of us remember when 800x600 was "high resolution"! =:^)  Anyway, it's
going to take a LOT less memory and a LOT less graphics muscle to deal
effectively with what amounts to 1-megapixel or less display, as opposed
to the 2.3 megapixel display I'm running TWO of, for instance.

Not disagreeing with your point, just sort of explaining how it's
possible at all, I guess.