[kde-linux] KDE3 Apps to KDE4?

Allistar allistar.m at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:09:25 UTC 2009

Duncan wrote:

> Allistar posted on Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:59:17 +1300 as excerpted:
>
>> And an important one for some of us: proper multi-session support. I
>> have a triple-head setup and from what I can tell I cannot use this in
>> KDE4.3.
>
> Triple-head should work (if your X supports it), but only as a combined
> single-session, aka "xinerama mode", spread out over all heads.

Yes - I don't really want that though. I have my left two monitors (my
primary workspace) as a single KDE session using Nvidia twinview (so no
xinerama here) and the right hand third display as a separate desktop. This
allows me to change the virtual workspace (or whatever compiz calls it) on
the left two without also changing the one on the third. I find this setup
makes me much more productive.

Also, I have noticed that xinerama is slower than twinview, especially for3D
stuff.

> From
> what I read, kde4 is single-session only, with no one currently working
> on changing that.

How does this work for people that have a single computer with 4 keyboards,
4 mice and 4 monitors providing a separate independant desktop to four
people? Can they not use KDE4?

> Apparently, the multi-session support in kde3 was
> never deliberately intended either, it just happened to work.  But kde4
> was enough of a rewrite that whatever allowed it to work in kde3 is long
> gone, and it's not likely to return until someone with sufficient skills
> gets sufficiently interested in making it happen... that it does happen.

I think I may using a different WM for the third monitor. That's a shame
though as it won't look or feel consistent. The third monitor is the one I
put Superkaramba on and from what I've read I'll replace this with
Plasmoids (or whatever they're called). That's not going to work if it's
not running KDE.