[kde-linux] KDE3 Apps to KDE4?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 09:58:34 UTC 2009

David Baron wrote:
> I would love to graduate from KDE3, free up some space!
>
> What might I still use from KDE3?
>
> Ksensors -- there is a plasma data-engine available for making a plasmoid to
> replace this but has a zillion items in it! Could set up a stupid/simpler one
> by parsing the output of the sensors command line.
>
> Guarddog -- this is an understandable firewall builder for iptables.
>
> Recoll-applet -- I am not using this applet now but something like this is
> needed for us diehards that are resisting nepomuk (all those daemons bog down
> kde4). A plasmoid and a runner simply running recoll and parsing its stdout
> like the qalculate applets and runners do with qalc? Should not be overly
> difficult--might try to do them using the qalc ones as templates?
>
> Kdevelop -- a premiere app!! When, o when? Been using netbeans for C++ as well
> as Java (can do ruby and php as well).
>
> Rosegarden -- one of the more mature Linux sound apps but tied to kde3 and
> will not work, at least by me, in kde4. WIP "thorn" will be qt4, no kde4 deps.
>
> Kisa -- cute live spell checker/search interface. Was ported but with all the
> bugs intact. No new version for a while now.
>
> KDE interfaces for boinc (works in KDE4) and flightgear (works, but out-of-
> sync with current fgfs).

You should be able to run KDE-3 apps along with KDE-4 apps as long as
you don't try to run both a KDE-3 and a KDE-4 instance of the same app
(that might work but it could also get complicated).  The only issue is
that as you upgrade your libraries that KDE-3 (which is not really
maintained) will probably become more and more broken.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch